Sunday, November 30, 2014

Diaper preferences

So, I use cloth diapers on my toddler, mostly because they're cheap. But there are a lot of other benefits to cloth diapers too - less exposure to chemicals, reducing the amount of trash we throw out, keeping human waste out of the trash, and comfort for the baby.

Some people think "ew, they have a wet cotton diaper on - how is that more comfortable?" - first, once they're wet, you're supposed to change them. That goes for disposables too, but because they hold so much most parents just wait until they're more "full". So ideally, baby should be spending most of their time in a dry diaper. Second - have you ever worn a disposable diaper (that you can remember)? They feel itchy, crinkly, and just gross.

I don't know this firsthand - my toddler told me.

My mother-in-law, the coupon maven, bought home a few pairs of disposable pull-ups that were free at CVS. I figured they might be nice to use when we were out and running errands, so I took them.

Tristan fights wearing them like a child possessed. He screams, kicks, and finally either points to a cloth diaper or runs off to pee on the bathroom floor. So much for convenience.

He'll be two this January, and I'm hoping to get him properly potty trained by this coming summer.We tried doing elimination communication when he was really little, and it went really well... right up until he learned how to walk! After that, he couldn't be bothered. Now he's starting to show interest in the potty again, and displaying a little patience in sitting, so I think we have a good shot at ditching diapers entirely before he's much older.


No comments:

Post a Comment