Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Apple harvest

It's been a little quiet here again, mostly because we're still settling into our groove with school and homeschool, and trying to figure out how other things fit around that. But one of the things that I fit in annually is a massive apple harvest!

Our friends have an elderly neighbor who has TWO apple trees in her backyard, and because she has diabetes, she can't use the fruit. So every year, we go with laundry baskets and an extendable reach picking stick, and come home with a load of apples.


 This year I sensibly set up the apple peeler/corer/slicer (scored at a yard sale for $1 years ago) on the back deck, and churned out sliced apples as fast as I could turn the crank.


The slicer turns the apple into one long ribbon!

I put up 4 quarts and 7 pints of apple butter (so far), and we've had the dehydrator working hard to make us yummy apple chips. My husband doesn't like them, but apple chips are a hit with the kids - I'll take whatever encourages them to eat more fruit!





No comments:

Post a Comment