Friday, April 24, 2015

Still no work

Jake got his last paycheck today. That means that the only actual "income" that we now have is from my book sales and freelancing - and my freelance gigs are odd, to say the least. Because I'm new to the freelancing world and don't have many credits on my profile, I decided to set my price low and do random writing assignments so I would get positive feedback. The end result is that I end up earning $5 for writing 450 - 500 word blog posts. Not hard in and of itself, but I have to include key phrases, like "invest in Mongolia". Seriously.

Hopefully I'll gain enough experience that I can start doing more interesting jobs that pay more, but right now I figure that any money that I earn is better than not earning any.  :)

One good thing that came out of all of this is I sat down, calculated our net worth (including house and non-liquid assets) against our debts, and we came out way ahead. Even if Jake can't find work for months, we shouldn't have to worry about paying our bills or putting food on the table. But at the same time, we've worked a long time to create that kind of cushion, and it's a little upsetting to know that every time we have to pay bills out of our savings, we'll lose ground.

So another thing I'm researching is ways to increase our "passive" income - like I said, there's my book, but I'm talking to Jake about the possibility of (in the future) buying rental properties. He's not too keen on the idea, so it may not happen, but the right real estate can be a good money generator.

Eh. We'll see. Meanwhile, I have another 400 words to write, to include the phrase "physiotherapy center Hong Kong".

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment