It's BEAUTIFUL weather here right now - the kind that just begs you to lace up your shoes or hop on your bike and GO.
So yesterday I was about to take advantage of this weather and bike over to my local pharmacy to get my pills, but my bike tires seemed a little low. So I got out my trusty bike pump - the floor model that reminds me of a dynamite plunger. I hooked up the pump, got a few pumps in, and heard a sudden hissing sound.
Horrified that I had blown a tube, I stopped to check - it wasn't the tube. At least, not the INNER tube. It was the tube or rubber hose that led from the pump to the tire. It had sheered away right next to the pump, and I couldn't figure out how to fix it fast enough to pump my tire, get to the pharmacy, and get back before Tristan's nap. So I drove, grumbling the whole way, griping that I might have to buy another pump when this one was otherwise perfectly good.
When I got home, Jake pointed out that there was a screw-on clamp that held the hose to the base of the pump. I grabbed a pair of pliers, unscrewed the clamp, and pulled the remaining bits of the hose off of the metal nipple that fed the air in. Then I cut the existing hose so the end was straight across again, fitted it onto the nipple, screwed the clamp back on, and by gum the pump worked again!!!
(I'll add pictures later)
That saved us not only $20 on a new pump, but also the hassle of having to go to the store and buy a replacement.