Friday, January 16, 2015

Cornmeal pancakes

I woke up hungry for pancakes today. But I'm all out of my premade gluten free "bisquick", and I wasn't in the mood to make regular pancakes anyway. Instead, I threw this into a bowl

1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
pinch of salt
enough milk to make a thin batter - semi-runny
a drizzle of molasses for the iron boost and flavor punch

I didn't add baking powder, but it would have made them turn out more puffy and light. You could do this with less sugar, too, but it helps everything hold together.

Fry on a griddle like you would ordinary pancakes - these will be heavier and chewier than regular pancakes, and much more filling!

This is all that was left, and I had to hold off hungry hands for a second to get this picture. I hope you appreciate the lengths I go to for you, reader! (They had eaten plenty - I'm not starving them, honest.)

Serve with butter, syrup, molasses, applesauce, or even apple butter - they go well with lots of toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment