Monday, January 12, 2015

Gluten free flour mix



When you have to switch from a regular diet to a gluten free diet, you soon discover that there are a lot of complications when you try to bake. There is no one single flour that can take the place of wheat flour in every recipe, but if you blend different kinds of gluten free flours, you can come up with a substitute that works pretty well in most recipes.

You can buy pre-mixed gluten free flour blends, but they tend to be rather expensive - and when I bake for my family I don't want to have to buy $10 worth of flour every time I make pizza. So for the last few years I've been using this flour blend that I mix from flours from the Asian Indian grocery store. (The flours are available at my regular grocery store, but they cost so much less at ethnic stores, that I encourage anyone who is going gluten free to find an Asian market and shop there for flour.)

3 parts rice flour
3 parts either arrowroot powder or cornstarch
2 parts sorghum flour
1 part corn masa mix
and
1/2 part instant mashed potato flakes (optional)

I mix up this flour about 30 - 35 lbs at a time, and it costs me a little less than a dollar a pound once it's all mixed - a pretty good price for gluten free flour! That's a 3 gallon bucket that used to hold frosting at a grocery store bakery - now I store my extra flour in it.




Oh - my pizza?

2 1/2 cups warm water
3 - 4 tablespoons oil
a packet of yeast (2 1/2 tsp)
2 tbsp xanthan gum
2 eggs
enough GF flour mix to make a play doh like dough - it should be stiff but slightly sticky



press the dough flat in greased pans, pre-bake the crusts for 15 - 18 minutes at 400 degrees, remove from the oven, top with sauce, cheese and your favorite toppings, return to oven for about 15 - 18 minutes. Voila! Pizza!


Hope you enjoy it!




No comments:

Post a Comment