Saturday, January 10, 2015

Why "Hard Core Poor"?

I've had one or two people say in comments "The book sounds neat, and I'd like to read it, but I have issues with the word 'poor'. It sounds so dire."

I get that, and when I chose the name "Hard Core Poor" for my book, I knew it was a loaded word. Here's why I did it anyway.

When I was seriously broke, any time I did something that saved me money that was unusual or difficult, I said I was being hard core poor. It made me feel tough, like "poor" couldn't beat me. Like I was too hard core to let a little lack of money stop me from doing what I needed to do.

Also, it sounded borderline naughty. That made me laugh, which was something I sorely needed. And it had a snappy sound to it.

So probably ten years ago, I decided that if I ever wrote a book, gave "thrift" classes, or otherwise advised people on serious ways to save money, the phrase "Hard Core Poor" would have to be a part of it.

I have another phrase in my head, which may or may not play out as a book someday. It took me about 3 years of part time effort to write this book, so we'll see what I can do with this.

Meanwhile, on the home front, Tristan the Two Year Old Terror is finally not sick anymore, Jake is mostly better, and I'm improving after a few days of coughing and low fevers. But the big kids have not been sick yet, and Catie has a HUGE project due next week - this makes me superstitious and nervous. Daniel? Eh, homeschooling is lovely in that as long as we log 180 days and get a good solid education in there, we're good on WHEN it happens.

Hope you're all well and warm!



No comments:

Post a Comment